To help you prepare for the experience of working as an ISMer in Palestine, please consider the following questions. They are subjects we will be dealing with during the training weekend, and it will be of great benefit for you and for the orientation process to spend a few minutes thinking about them:
(Please don’t be frightened or intimidated by any of these questions; they are designed to help YOU explore your own motivations and expectations)
- Why do you want to go to Palestine, and work with the ISM in particular?
- What are your hopes and fears about going to Palestine?
- What would you like to achieve by going to Palestine with ISM?
- What skills do you have which you think might be useful for ISM or for working in Palestine in general?
- How do you plan to prepare to make contacts with the media or influential people here before you leave?
- How do you plan to fund your trip?
- How do you think your trip will change things for you? Do you expect to fit this into a longer term campaigning role?
Remember that ISM London is a support framework for UK activists going to Palestine, so we are here to help with as much advice & guidance as we can offer. If you’re struggling to answer these questions, don’t worry: this is what the preparation process is for.