“If there is one organisation you should support, it’s the ISM” – Norman Finkelstein
ISM London is a group of activists in London and around the UK who have spent time volunteering with the International Solidarity Movement in Palestine. Although it started as a group of ISMers in London, over the years the group has expanded to include ISM activists from all over the country.
Examples of our work in Palestine
- Supporting non-violent Palestinian demonstrations agains the occupation and apartheid wall
- Harvesting olives with Palestinian farmers
- Staying with families whose houses are threatened with eviction or demolition
- Accompanying children who live near Israeli colonies to school
- Working with medical teams during Israeli invasions
Our Work in London and the UK
- Running training sessions around the UK to prepare people thinking of going to Palestine
- Fundraising to support the work of the ISM in Palestine
- Organising and participating in demonstrations for Palestine, and non-violent direct action against Israeli companies, as well as others that support or fund Israeli apartheid
- Debriefing sessions for recently returned ISM volunteers
- Providing speakers around the UK. Recent returnees from Palestine usually available
We organise trainings in London on a fairly regular basis, when there is the demand. In addition, if you can guarantee a group of at least seven people in your area of England, Wales or Scotland, we can arrange for a training to come to your area. Please see the Training page or email the training address for more details.
If you’ve recently returned from Palestine, please email us and we will arrange a debriefing session for you.
If you have spent time with the ISM in Palestine and would like to get involved with our activities in the UK, we want to hear from you! Please email us and and we’ll let you know how you can get involved. If you are thinking of starting your own local ISM support group, we want to connect with you. Please email us and we’ll do our best to support you if you need help or advice starting out.
If you can’t get directly involved with ISM London, but would still like to receive news from us, there are several ways you can do so. As well as this website, we have a mailing list (subscribe using the box in the sidebar) and and a Twitter feed, which are more focused on breaking news.
Other ISM groups
We want to work with other ISM groups around the world as closely as possible. If you would like to make use of our resources please email us and let us know how we could help. For example, we will share our training pack with other ISM groups on request: just email us.
More about ISM
The ISM is a Palestinian-led movement based in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Volunteers come from around the world to stand in support of Palestinian non-violence resistance, from olive picking to demonstrations against Israel’s apartheid wall.
It has been frequently reported in the Israeli press that the presence of international and Israeli volunteers at Palestinian demonstrations reduces the level of Israeli violence — the Israeli army has different rules of engagement, e.g. it is much less likely that they will use live ammunition when we are present.
ISM London also carries out direct action in the UK, working with other Palestinian solidarity groups to draw attention to the violent system of Israeli apartheid which Palestinians live under. As with the South African anti-apartheid movement, the ISM works to promote the July 2005 Palestinian call for a boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) campaign against Israel.
The ISM is funded through donations. We holds fund-raising gigs and parties in London and send the money to Palestine.
Webmail For ISMers